Sunday, February 1, 2015

Case Re-Opened

    Here we are again, looking for answers about online education. I know I ended my blog last December by interviewing a student that took several online classes his senior year of high school, and is now currently a college student. I realize that the student perspective is very important to this research. ( maybe I am biased because I am a college student)
    I realize what my research is missing is the teachers perspective. Do teachers like students having the option to learn online? Do they find it more effective than learning in the classroom.? Luckily, I have several friends that are educators in the state of Florida, and were more than happy to weigh in on what they thought about online education.  Down below is the transcription of what she had to say.

Me: Good morning, tell the readers a little about yourself and what your educational background is.

Ms. Dilella: Well my name is Carmen, I have been a teacher for several years now. I have taught a many different grade levels, from preschool to eighth grade. I would say my specialty is teacher language arts and literature. I hold a Masters degree in education from Nova Southeastern University.

Me: Wow, so you have been in classroom settings with younger students and older students. Tell me, would you say that you try to incorporate as much technological use as you can in the classroom? If so, in what ways do you?

Ms. Dilella: Honestly, I am always blown away with what my older students are able to do with technology, mostly because I am not very literate in technology. As for me, sure I try to incorporate as much as I can. I like to use the presentation tool " Prezi", I even sometimes like to get different project ideas from Pinterest.

Me: Those are both great tools! Well I am sure you are aware that in the state of Florida it is now required for graduating high school seniors to have at-least completed one class online through " Florida Virtual Schools". What is your opinion of the new requirement?

Ms. Dilella: I think that it is a great idea to have students complete courses online and that Florida Virtual makes it even easier for them. I have had several students take math courses through Florida Virtual and they are more than pleased with the results. Their teacher is very attentive to them as individuals and makes themselves very available for students. The education that the students receive is composed of the same curriculum that would be taught in the classroom, just online. Overall, I think its a great option for students.
   
Me: Would you ever consider teaching a course online, if you held the proper certifications?

Ms. Dilella: Absolutely, one day I hope to teach students online!

No comments:

Post a Comment